The Tala loan App is one of the best finance app and the best thing that technology and mobile money has brought to Kenyans home and abroad. It has saved situations, paid for school fees, medical expenses, and the list is endless.
I am going to take you through how to get started with Tala App in Kenya and how you can get your loan straight to M-Pesa.
In case you don’t know, Tala formerly Mkopo Rahisi is one of the fantastic mobile loans apps in Kenya. It was launched in Kenya in 2014 and ever since been helping many Kenyans sort our their financial situations.
Tala offers instant mobile loans between the range of Ksh 500 to Ksh. 30,000. Initially, the loan provider had a maximum limit of 50,000 I don’t see that anymore in my App.
Just recently, the mobile app provider received investments from PayPal Inc Holdings. This investment means that Tala is a stable company loan lender.
How to download Tala loan app
Follow the following steps to download and install Tala on your mobile phone:
- If you are on an android phone, visit The Google Play Store
- Check the reviews; you will see all the good reviews about this App.
- Download the App, and it will install on your phone. You are now ready to start using Tala Loan App.
How to register on Tala app
Tala registration is simple; there is no Tala loan application form as many think because you do everything on the App. Check the following Tala Registration process:
- Once downloaded, open the app and you will be asked to Link your mobile number.
- The number will be verified and will register you automatically
- Tala will check for information about you on your phone. This information is from your SMS to see how you transact M-Pesa, your income, and other information. It also uses your CRB Status to determine your credit score.
- You are registered and now have a tala account.
How to apply for a loan on the Tala app
Once installed, you have to request for a loan to check if you qualify or not, you will fill some questions before being granted credit. I find these questions research questions and don’t matter whether you are eligible for a loan or not.
If you find that you don’t qualify, keep trying and let the app stay on your phone, don’t uninstall it. If you are eligible, You will get an offer worth the amount you qualify for.
Tala gives you two options for repaying your loan. You can choose to pay after seven days or after 30 days. The longer it takes to pay the expensive the loan will be.
Choose an option you are comfortable with, for me; I find the seven days so little because time goes by so fast.
After you click accept, the loan will be sent instantly to your M-Pesa account.
You might also be interested in Branch Loan App
How to repay Tala loan app
After you receive your loan, make plans to repay it as soon as possible. This is the only way to increase your loan limit on Tala.
The only way to repay your Tala loan is through Safaricom Lipa Na M-Pesa Paybill number 851900. Tala App has advanced the payment process.
- Open the Tala App, and you will see the loan you want to pay.
- Click on MAKE A PAYMENT Text
- Confirm the loan amount you are to pay
- Click Submit Payment button and your M-Pesa will pop up.
- Copy the Paybill Number and paste it into the Mpesa pay bill slot
- Then copy the account number, i.e. your mobile phone number
- Finally, copy the amount in the amount and make payment.
See the diagram below for Mpesa Repayment
If you ever encounter a problem and looking for Tala Contacts then read on how to contact the tala team. There might be many reasons why you need to reach Tala Kenya and here are some of the ways to get in touch with them:
- On the App
- Via SMS
- Social Media
Now let me take you through the above steps of contacting Tala Loans provider
Using the mobile loan App
Tala has made the loan app in a way that it is easier to reach them. All you need to do is to log in to the App.
Once logged in, click on the “View FAQs or send us a message” link. Clicking on this link will take you to the FAQs page of the App.
At the bottom of this page, there is a line. Have a question about something? Click on it and a red button with MESSAGE US text written on it. Click on it.
Once clicked it will open a new page with the title My Tickets Click on the + sign and enter a description (The issue you need to be sorted out).
The best thing is that you can attach screenshots on this section and they will get back to you.
Contacting Tala through SMS
Tala has a number that they use to contact you. You can use the same number to reach them. Here is the number they use: 21991
Use the following email address to contact Tala firstname.lastname@example.org
Tala has an active social media presence, and you can contact them at any time, and you can get a quick response.
Their Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/talakenya/
and their Twitter account is https://twitter.com/tala_ke
Well, now you have more than one way of contacting them. Please only post on one platform at a time. Wait for a few hours before posting again on another platform. I recommend using the app first.
TALA frequently asked questions
I have checked the app and found some FAQs that might help someone who needs a loan but is stuck somewhere.
- How does Tala decide on whether to give you a loan or not?
- Loan decisions are based on many things which include your income, how you use M-Pesa, and how you have been repaying other loans.
- All these information you provide before being approved for a loan. Tala App also scans your phone for this information as well as check you on CRB.
- One thing to note is that, if you have been rejected for a loan, don’t uninstall it but keep it installed and they will contact you la
- What are the fees and schedule for payments?
- There are two options for repayment schedule: 1st option is a 30-day loan that has a 15% service fee and interest rates can go as low as 7% for some customers.
- The 2nd option is a 21-day loan that has a service fee from 11% but can go down to as low as 5%.
- If you want, you can repay the loan at once or submit partial payments at any time before the loan is due.
- What should you do if the app crashes? – If the app keeps crashing, you can Clear the App data. If this persists, then you can contact them.
- What do I do if I lose my phone? – If you lose your phone, you can contact them directly using the methods indicated above.
- What does Tala do with the answers provided during the loan application process? – They use this information to determine your creditworthiness and debt capacity.
- What happens if you pay early or late?
- How do I repay my loan?
other loan apps worth trying out
If you don’t succeed in getting a loan from Tala, then you can try out these other loan apps available in Kenya.