Taking personal loans in Kenya have now become the order of the day at least to almost every Kenyan citizen, whether employed or even running a private business.
With the emerging of financial technology, the process of accessing loans have become like a walk in the park where anyone can get quick money anytime as long as you have an Android smartphone.
In this particular article, I will take you through some of the existing personal loans in Kenya.
But first, let us understand what a personal loan is.
What are personal loans
A personal loan is simply the money borrowed or taken by an individual with plans of accomplishing a specific own need or task. It could be constructing a house, paying school fees, among others.
Banks, credit institutions can offer personal loans or get them through mobile loans.
They can also be referred to as instant or quick loan. They are provided based on specific criteria including the individual income salary, employment history and repayment history.
In Kenya, the lender may further check whether you are in the credit reference bureau (CRB)
Places to get personal loans in Kenya
Personal loans in Kenya can be obtained from various credit institutions, including banks, Saccos and Mobile loans. Let us now discuss each in details
Cooperative Bank Personal loan gives clients a chance to get money to fulfil the planned tasks or even on emergency cases.
What you need
- Be a regular Cooperative Bank customer employed or self-employed
- Be an account holder of Cooperative bank
Requirements for the loan application
- Original National Identity Card and a copy
- Original PIN Certificate and a copy
- No specific minimum net salary is required
- Salary payslips for the last three months
- Filled in the loan application form
- Copy of KRA PIN
- Minimum of KES 50,000
- A maximum term of 72 months
- The loan can cater for medical, furniture, consumer durables, motor vehicles, plot purchase, holidays and shares
- The application takes up to 48 hours to process
Equity bank happens to be one of the largest banks in Africa, serving over 9 million customers.
The bank offers three types of personal loans including
Equiloan: It is provided to individuals who are on salary and are looking to do development projects and acquire assets
Salary Advance: This is the short term loan given to employed individuals then deducted from the payroll. In most cases, individuals take on emergency cases. The credit is available up to 12 months.
Eazzy Loan: This is the Equity loan app. Download from google play store to access loan
Unsecured Personal: This loan is granted to individuals to meet their personal needs without the requirement for a security deposit.
- Must have had an account with KCB for at least three months
- Original and copy of National ID or passport
- Employment card (where applicable)
- Latest original payslips (where applicable)
- Proof of income for self-employed individuals
- Open to employed/self-employed individuals with a regular steady income.
- Repayment period of up to 48 months.
- No security deposit required.
- From as low as Kshs 20,000 to as high as Kshs 4M
Rates & Fees
- The repayment period is a maximum of 4 years
- An interest rate of 13%
- Negotiation fees of 2.5%
Barclays Bank has two types of personal loans
Unsecured Loan, Non-check-off: This type of loan requires no collateral as security. Your salary determines the amount you qualify for. For personal use, this is the one.
Unsecured Loan Checkoff: With this loan, we sign a contract with a company to lend money to its employees, which then gets deducted off their salaries.
For Barclays account holders
- Latest payslip (certified)
- A national ID card or passport (non-Kenyan)
- KRA – PIN
- Last two months payslips (certified)
- Bank statements for three months (certified)
- One passport photo
- KRA – PIN
2. Mobile loans App
The emerging of financial technology, the launch of mobile loan apps has increased with over 20 mobile loans including Tala, Branch, Afrika Loan app, Stawika Loan App, Haraka Loan app, Jazika Loan App among others
Read more: Top 10 loan apps in Kenya in 2019
For you to get a quick loan from the mobile loans, you require to follow a few steps.
Must have an Android smartphone
Go to Google play store and search for your prefered mobile loan app
Click on install to download the app straight to your phone
Click on open to register to the app
Once done now you can see the amount you qualify to borrow
Read more: Branch app
Saccos are a financial institution with restricted members of a particular organisation or a group of people.
However, most of these SACCOs in Kenya have now started opening their services to outsiders.
Saccos have a regulatory body Saccos Societies Regulatory Authority (SASRA) which is in charge of the regulation of deposit‑taking Sacco Societies in Kenya.
They are best when it comes to savings. They then use the savings to loan lend to their members.
- Be a member of a Sacco
Rates on personal loans are typically cheaper than those on a credit card, and the limits on how much you can borrow are usually higher.
If you have high balances on multiple high-interest credit cards, a personal loan can consolidate debts into one payment at a lower rate.